Important Updates Regarding COVID-19
Updated as of March 23, 2020, 2:30 PM EST
Read Library Updates Regarding COVID-19 from OLA:
As of March 17, Ontario's Chief Medical Officer of Health requires closure of all public libraries. Public libraries can share information about how they are responding to the COVID-19 pandemic through this form.
COVID-19 is considered a pandemic by the World Health Organization and many organizations and institutions are adapting to this fluid situation. We’d like to let you know that we are committed to continuing to effectively serve our members, while keeping our staff, volunteers, and members safe.
Here is an update on what OLA’s plans are:
Programs and Services:
- Working with our volunteer committees, OLA has cancelled or postponed a number of upcoming in-person events:
- Online Events:
- Education Institute: Upcoming webinars will still take place. Our archived webinars remain available.
- Forest Fridays/Mercre-LIT: There are no Forest Fridays or Mecre-LIT virtual author visits occurring during March Break. We will likely reschedule these virtual author visits during the public school closure. We will update you of any postponements or cancellations.
- The Library Marketplace:
- As of March 13, 2020, orders have been shipped.
- We are working to ship to individual addresses, instead of schools or libraries, through UPS or Canada Post.
- We are monitoring the arrival of merchandise from various vendors and will keep customers up-to-date on any possible delays.
- All orders submitted by public schools and libraries will be processed and shipped after the closure period is over.
- We will update any customers who may be impacted by any office closures and changes in their order or shipping status.
- If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
- We continue to support our members by compiling resources on pandemic planning in public spaces. View the information brief here .
Staff and Operations:
- As of March 17, 2020, our Toronto-based office is closed to the public. OLA staff will continue to work and respond to members’ inquiries. We will be available via our main phone number (416-363-3388) and email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that there may be a delay in response to email and phone inquiries during this time. We appreciate your patience.
- We are providing flexible work accommodations for our staff, such as placing security and technological protocols in place for staff to work remotely.
- Health and safety protocols and procedures are in place for staff who may feel unwell or who may be directly affected by COVID-19. OLA provides sick leave coverage.
- Upcoming in-person meetings at the OLA office have been moved to teleconference. The OLA staff liaison will be in touch shortly to provide further details.
OLA will also continuously monitor information coming from Toronto Public Health, the Ontario Health Ministry, and the Canadian Public Health Agency.
We will inform you as we know more. You can check in with us for updates here.
We recognize that these are unprecedented times and we are committed to supporting and connecting our members and registrants.
Thank you for your continued support as we work together through this rapidly changing situation. Stay safe, stay healthy.