By-Law No. 5
BE IT ENACTED as a By-Law of the ONTARIO LIBRARY ASSOCIATION as follows:
1. The name of the division herein constituted shall be the Ontario Library Boards' Association, Division of the Ontario Library Association and shall hereinafter be referred to as the "Division".
2. The object of the Division is to foster, encourage and improve public library boards’ capacity to achieve excellence in library governance in order to provide optimal public library service for all people in Ontario.
3. The members of the Division are those personal members of the OLA who are also public library board members on public library boards in Ontario.
4. The affairs of the Division shall be managed by the duly elected Council in a manner consistent with By-Law No. 1.
a. The composition of the Council shall be:
- The Past-President
- The President
- The Vice-President (President-Elect)
- One representative from each duly constituted region
- Executive Director (non-voting)
Provided that each of the foregoing, except for the Executive Director, are personal members in good standing of the Division at the time of their election and throughout their term of office.
However, in the event that the vice-president or the president or the past president is no longer a board member on a public library board in Ontario, the member shall remain on Council for the duration of the term.
b. The Vice-President shall serve the first year after election as Vice-President, the second year as President, the third year as Past-President.
c. The term of office of a councilor is three years. One third of the council shall be retired annually.
d. A Secretary and Treasurer shall be chosen by the Council from the Councillors each year. If there is no candidate from the Councillors, the Council may appoint members-at-large to the positions.
e. No councillor shall serve as a councillor for more than two consecutive terms.
5. The Division shall be composed of eight regions:
- Southwestern Region
- Central Region - West
- Central Region - Mid
- Central Region - East
- Eastern Region
- Northern Region - West
- Northern Region - East
The members of a region are those members of the Division who are public library board members in that particular geographic area.