About This Session:
From reporters to engineers to real estate lawyers to academics, a large number of people benefit from or could benefit from Freedom of Information (FOI) requests. As librarians who have experience working in FOI, we hope to help other librarians and information professionals support their library users during the sometimes confusing process of submitting an FOI request.
This session will be broken down into three parts:
• Overview of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) and a brief overview of related legislation (MFIPPA, PHIPA, ATIP).
• An outline of the FOI request process, including: figuring out which institution holds relevant records; scoping your request; fees and fee waivers; how to file an appeal; etc.
• Strategies for helping your library users navigate the FOI process by building FOI into the research/reference consultation and utilizing subject area expertise within your organization to create effective FOI search parameters.
- Gain an understanding of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) and related legislation (MFIPPA, PHIPA, ATIP).
- Gain familiarity with FOI request and appeal processes.
- Learn how to scope a request to ensure the most effective search and result.
- Be able to assist library users when submitting FOI requests.
About the Presenters:
Jelena Stankovic is a librarian with an academic and special libraries background, currently working as an FOI Analyst at the Ministry of the Environment. She also works as an operator with Scholars Portal’s Ask a Librarian chat where she provides virtual reference and research services to members of the Ontario Council of University Libraries (OCUL). She is interested in how libraries can support their communities and empower them in their information needs.
Daniel Gouthro is an FOI Analyst with the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks. He graduated from Dalhousie University in 2016 with a Master of Library and Information Studies degree. In addition to his work as an FOI Analyst, Daniel has worked for the Ontario Public Service as a Trainer where he developed and delivered training to OPS staff via webinars, eLearning and classroom sessions.
Marisa Maharaj is a research librarian with the Ontario Ministry of Finance. For 18 months she was an Assistant FOI Coordinator at the then Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change where she reviewed thousands of records for disclosure, assuaged the concerns of requesters and met multiple competing deadlines.
Non Members: 55.00